Monday, September 22, 2008

Of gas, scarecrows, and primary

Nashville is out of gas. (Stated for my non-Tennessee readers obviously). Thanks to a false rumor and some paranoid people around the time of Hurricane Ike, our gas supply was depleted and has not yet been replenished. In order to fill up, one has to drive to several different gas stations to find one that isn't out of gas, then wait in a really long line, possibly to be told they've run out just before your turn (which happened to a friend of ours).

Our van ran out of gas on Thursday. After trying 3 different stations, I drove home with my gas gauge estimating zero miles left, praying I would make it home with my groceries. Thankfully I did. So we've been driving around in our car all weekend (when we have to drive at all), fighting with 3 car seats in the back seat and no air conditioning. Brentwood is a suburban city, fairly spread out, with nothing in the way of public transportation. So to get anywhere pretty much requires a vehicle.

So what is a family to do when it's stuck at home on a Saturday? Why, make a scarecrow of course!


In other news, our Children's Sacrament Presentation was yesterday and was a success I think. I am the Primary President (I direct the children's organization for our church, which has about 80 active children in it), and this is a big presentation the kids do during our main church hour. So I'm glad it's over. Since I've been president the program has always been very simple: talk, scripture, song,... repeated about 8 times. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't parents out there who prefer the more traditional program where every child gets their own speaking part and moment of glory. If so, I would gladly submit their name for this position. :) I'm all for simple.

Of course my favorite part was when Sienna and the rest of the Sunbeam class recited their scripture, and I loved looking over to her section during the songs to see her singing the words. I may have 80 plus kids up on the stand to watch over, but I'm a mother first, right?

4 comments:

Kristen said...

wow - that's a scary situation with the gas. Luckily you can still fit your 3 kids in a car!

Alicia said...

That's an awesome scarecrow! Good work Sienna on your first primary program! And Kristen. Wow, 80 kids...that's about 4 times as many as we have, I think.

Artax said...

Congrats on the primary program. I don't envy you your calling. After getting all excited about the idea of a primary program last year, turns out I was in Germany for ours this year, and they didn't really let the sunbeams participate anyway. :-( I'm ready to move again.

Anonymous said...

Phx "ran out of gas" a few years ago. It was so crazy! Thankfully we had filled up just before the crises and we limited our driving so we didn't have a problem with it. It was during the summer though, and it gets pretty hot here in the summer (just in case you didn't nknow;)). Sitting out in the heat waiting for gas would have been awful!!