Monday, August 31, 2009

Arts and crafts brag blog

Sienna loves to do arts and crafts. I do to some extent as well, although I'm not nearly as creative. Most of my ideas come from other peoples blogs. I thought I'd share some of the things we've done this summer along with their source. So you can get ideas too, if you're into that kind of thing. So this is one of those show-and-tell blogs. You might even find your own blog mentioned here.

Flower hair clips and bows (picture not shown)
I haven't totally joined the Giant Flower Hair Clip Club, but I wanted to try one. It has to go on the back of her head, or else it looks ridiculous.



No-sew tu-tu
This was kind of a waste of time. Sienna doesn't like the way the tulle feels against her legs, so she never wears it. Maybe with tights or leggings, but it's too warm for them right now. Cute and simple though!



Pillowcase nightgowns from here



and here.

Sienna is pouty in this picture because the ribbon she picked out for the sleeves from my scrap box was too scratchy on her arms. (Are you seeing a theme here?) So the ribbon came off, and now she wears it almost every night. This pillowcase was one my Grandma embroidered.



Decorations for the shelf in the kids' room. Thanks to a comment on my blog from Pamela!



Crazy crayons. A good use for broken crayons.




Painted 4th of July shirts.




Reversible capes (modified from here). I actually did these for Christmas last year, but the weight of Sienna's pulled at her neck and choked her a little. So this summer I made the front part to keep it down in front.
Colby had just woken up from his nap in this picture, and was a little slow getting out of bed. And Sienna is pulling a face because, well, that's just what she likes to do nowadays.




Now for some of Sienna's crafts. At one point when I was at the sewing machine, Sienna was being bored next to me. So I gave her some scrap material and showed her how to do a running stitch. She liked doing it, so a few days later when she was bored again, I cut out some scrap material for her to make a purse/wallet. It still needs a snap or button or something. The stitches aren't super straight, but not bad for a 5 year old, eh? (Click to enlarge to see stitches)




From our trip to Gulf Shores in June we got some painted sea shells. So Sienna picked out some paint and a craft box from the store and went to work decorating it.



Can you guess what this is? When we were preparing to go to Washington D.C., I checked out a bunch of kids books from the library about the city. The first one I read to them was about the Lincoln Memorial. A few hours later I peeked in on Sienna in the office, and she was attempting to recreate a model from paper. She got a little discouraged when it couldn't stand up on its own, so I tried to help salvage it with bamboo skewers. It didn't last long. But it was such a cute attempt!


2 comments:

Letterpress said...

Fun to see all the things your family has been making. I solved the necktie/cape issue when my kids were little by attaching the cape to a cap of sorts, a hoodie. Nearly all the superheros have them, and little red riding hood as well. At least that was my salespoint.

We still have those capes somewhere.
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed! I need Sienna to come to my house to teach me how to sew.