Sunday, November 14, 2010

I'm grateful for...

Recently I re-read Elder Holland's General Conference talk titled "Because of Your Faith."  To me it was a lesson on gratitude.  I was inspired.  So in honor of the season...

I'm grateful for our old van that carried us back and forth to Utah several times.  I'm grateful that the engine and transmission were dying, so that we were motivated to buy a new van (complete with working door handles!).
(saying good-bye at the dealership)


I'm grateful that we had been saving money to remodel our kitchen, so that we didn't have to go into debt to buy the new van.  I'm grateful that our kitchen fund now sits on four wheels, so that we can continue to enjoy our childrens' "Art Mowzeum" (which would be replaced by counters/cupboards/shelves in the remodeled kitchen).

I'm grateful that we heard a funny rattle sound in our "new" used van right after we bought it and took it to the shop.  I'm grateful that we're getting a brand new engine in our used van, and that it's covered under warranty.

I'm grateful for our really good friends, the Lindemanns, who have loaned us their car for the past few weeks so we have room to drive our family around.

I'm grateful that our oven is broken, so that I could learn to use our solar cooker a little more.  I'm grateful for our really good friends, the Watsons, who helped us identify and find the broken oven part.  I'm grateful that it arrived this weekend (and hope it works!).

 (Picture from last summer)

I'm grateful when things break, so I can realize and remember how blessed I am.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

he he he

Letterpress said...

You've done it!!

You've earned the authentic You're a Shepherd/Eastmond Now badge. As if you hadn't before. But a version of these types of comments go back and forth between Dave and I all the time.

For example, here's tonight: We were having build-your-own vegetable burritos. He opens the fizzy pink lemonade and drowns the flour tortilla awaiting the filling on his plate. I get up to get him a new plate and tortilla. He says, "That one's just fine. I can eat it. I don't mind a little moisture."

He ate the soggy tortilla--on a clean plate.

I still haven't earned my badge yet, but I'm sure it won't be too long now!