Thursday, July 2, 2009

The joy of shopping with children

I prefer to shop without children. Very much so. But usually it's unavoidable. Here's some highlights from our trip to Kroger this afternoon.

1. Entrance. Colby decides he wants to ride in a car cart, while Sienna wants to push a child-sized cart. So Colby and Ashley get settled behind the wheels, then we realize there aren't any child-sized carts left. By the time we hit the produce section, Sienna and Colby are on top, in front of, and out the sides of the car, seemingly all at once. Ashley wavers between being entertained and terrified.

2. Meat section. I'm trying to make a selection on salmon that is on sale, and kids are yelling in the background. I successfully tune them out, and the associate behind the counter comes out to offer them paper butcher hats. Temporary peace.

3. Cleaning aisle. Colby the butcher is running full speed backwards the length of the aisle while yelling something to Sienna. I see the lady with the cart that he's headed straight for and try to warm him, but too late. Crash goes his head against the metal cart. Screaming and crying the length of the aisle the other direction back to mom.

4. Dairy and Beverages. Last aisle. Almost done. A lady in front of us is trying to maneuver her two kids out of the way so my semi-truck can get by. Not quite enough to get around the tower of Miller beer cases stacked in the center. Yup. Bump goes the cart. Crash goes one, then two, then three cases of glass beer bottles, fuzzing all over the aisle. The other lady leaves her two kids next to me while she goes to tell someone.

5. Van. Ashley starts crying. I realize that one of her last two Binkys was left somewhere in the store. Perhaps covered in Miller Light Beer. It looks like she will be weaned sooner than any of us had planned.

Got any nightmare shopping trips to share?

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I can't think of any specific stories to tell, but I can just tell you that all of this sounds very familiar to me. My solution is to make Zac do the shopping. Or go to Walmart at night. Or basically anything I can do to NOT take all the kids. We did a local online grocery shopping delivery a few times. Really, I will do ANYTHING!!

Oh, one thing that drives me crazy that you didn't mention, is when the child in the cart seat is taking things out of the cart and throwing them onto the floor almost as quickly as you are putting them in.

I used to seriously get panic attacks in the grocery store aisles with kids in tow. Now I just avoid it as much as possible. :)

Lisa said...

oh heavens! You should get an award just for surviving that trip.

Jeannie said...

I think you win. Usually it's just Warren begging for more samples at Costco and/or begging to ride in the main part of the cart. Maddie is getting too heavy for the front pack carrier now, so carrying her around is killing my neck. I miss shopping on-line for groceries where they would deliver the goods to my kitchen! Ah, life in big city Chicago vs. beach town Goleta...

Pamela said...

Ok I totally relate to your shopping expereince. Shopping with my four little ones always ends up in some kind of fiasco. And it never fails that someone will come up to me and say "Wow, looks like you have your hands full!" Yeah, tell me something I don't already know!

Unknown said...

Woah!
Congratulations for living to tell the tale!
You take the cake on that one!